The R.O.D The Complete Blu-ray Box Review is now available in the reviews section and here. As this review is in fact a review of two titles (R.O.D The OVA and R.O.D The TV) I tried a different approach for reviewing it, making it a bit easier on the eye.
Since I haven’t done it recently I thought I’ll do a little trivia section for this OVA and series. See how many of these you already know!
- Yomiko Readman’s first name, Yomiko, is made up of the verb Yomu (“to read”) and the vowel ko, which is traditionally used in Japan as an ending in a girl’s name. So a literal translation of Yomiko Readman’s name in English would be “Readinggirl Readman”.
- The name of the Chinese company Dokusensha is written in Chinese. However the word Dokusensha, if written in Japanese with a different set of kanji, can be oddly translated as “the one who monopolizes [something]“.
- The Read or Die OVA’ opening theme shows several screens filled with English text. Most of this text is incoherent but there are some strangely coherent sentences. For example one sentence says “get 20 quiet cats at a student discount price“. Another interesting sentence would be “a gift from the emperor who doesn’t compensate even if he breaks something during a home run“.
- In episode 8, when Anita is in charge of writing a report on today’s school activities, she writes the following (in Japanese): “The principles’ lectures are always boring and make me sleepy. Rock and Roll“.
- The Midnight Liberation Zone movie poster in Hisami’s room feature pictures of real people (as opposed to drawn images).